The coronavirus disease (covid 19) is an infectious disease that affects your lungs and is thought to have originated from China. It is primarily spread through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose of an infected person when they cough or sneeze.
Virtually every country in the world has been affected by the disease. The U.K. has now recorded well over 1 million infections to date and many people have died. Yet, the psychological and social impact of the disease cannot be under estimated as many people have experienced financial hardship, social isolation and there have been big increases in domestic abuse and people experiencing mental health difficulties.
Here are some tips to help you cope through the recent lockdown and impact of the pandemic.
- It is more important than ever to stay connected with friends and family members by telephone or online
- Take up a new hobby such as gardening or cooking to occupy some of your free time
- If you are feeling anxious, practice meditation, yoga or self-hypnosis
- Limit exposure to the news and social media to once a day
- Get yourself into a regular routine and ensure you go to bed at the same time each day and get up at a similar time every day
- Limit alcohol use, caffeine and smoking.
- Identify the things that you can control in your life during times of uncertainty. For example, use the time to redecorate your house or reorganize your home
- Seek help early if you are experiencing difficulties with debt. Most organisations will be understanding and have a policy to help you through this difficult period
- Do something positive to help others such as checking on a neighbour. It will help you to feel good about yourself
- Focus on today. Remind yourself that the current situation is only temporary, it will pass and things will get better at some point in the future
- Keep yourself safe by continuing to follow all the latest government guidance including social distancing and washing your hands regularly with antibacterial hand wash
It is very important that you seek professional help if you are still struggling. Hypnotherapy is a very versatile therapy that can help with many different problems people are experiencing right now such as anxiety, depression, insomnia, weight management, smoking, addictions, fears and much more. I offer a free initial consultation so please don’t hesitate to contact me for further information.